MARIGOT: Violence against women is one of the most wide spread human rights violations. Persistent and devastating, it is a threat to millions of girls and women around the world. Since 1999, November 25 has been the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.
Too much violence! We say stop!
Acts of violence against women are unfortunately still too present in our society. This violence can take many forms: beatings, marital rape, psychological violence, femicide, harassment, cyber-bullying, unwanted sexual advances, genital mutilation, etc.
In a national survey, it was revealed that about 50,000 women are victims of marital rape. This is far too many. The territory of Saint-Martin is not immune to this scourge, quite the contrary. There are many interventions by the police for domestic violence and other types of violence. We say STOP! All women can be victims of violence, whatever their age, level of education, social or economic condition. No one is spared.
This is why the members of the Soroptimist Club of Saint-Martin, composed of about twenty women, wished to denounce this societal disaster by carrying out actions. November 25 is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. On this day begins the 16 days of activism against violence against women. From November 25 to December 10, clubs around the world will offer projects to raise awareness or eliminate violence against women.
Soroptimist Club of Saint Martin … what is it?
The Soroptimist Club of Saint Martin is a service club, founded in 1994 by Ammique BRYAN. She decided to bring together about twenty women from various backgrounds. For twenty-seven years, the members have been committed to the girls and women of the territory in several fields such as health, education, environment and especially law.
Their motto: “Understand, Defend and Undertake” is a source of inspiration and the guideline for all their actions. The current president, Hélène MICOT-BRIDE, continues along line and works with all the members for the girls and women of Saint-Martin.
Orange….why this color?
This campaign, also called “Orange the World”, uses orange as a unifying color in all its activities. It is a symbol of a better future, free of violence against women and girls.
The projects of the club of Saint Martin
The Soroptimist Club of Sint Maarten has several projects to support the fight against violence against women:
– Organization of a drawing contest at the Lycée Robert Weinum, the winners’ works will be exhibited at key locations (Crédit Mutuel, LPO and Lycée Robert Weinum and the Grand-Case airport)
– Deposit of an urn at the reception of LA SAMANA to collect donations to help women and girls
– Commemoration of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women on November 25 in the garden of the Collectivité from 5:00 p.m. (wreath-laying, speeches, viewing of paintings by high school students)
We invite you to come and share this moment with us! We look forward to seeing you on November 25 in the garden of the Collectivité starting at 5:00 p.m!
LET’S KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Being a victim of violence is nothing to be ashamed of, nor does it discredit you as a woman. Your beauty, your strength and the love you have to offer remain. Know that you are not alone and there are devices on the territory to help you such as:
– Alefpa-Le Manteau de Saint-Martin which is dedicated to women victims of violence and offers them shelter, opportunity to meet a social worker, a sophrologist, therapists and learn self-defense practices.
– Trait d’union, which handles and investigates complaints via the gendarmerie and accompanies them to court. The association has an emergency shelter for victims.
– Safe Haven welcomes women.
The Soroptimist Club of Saint Martin works closely with these associations not only financially but also in terms of support and accompaniment.
TOGETHER LET’S SAY STOP VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN –
WE STAND FOR WOMEN.